Monday, July 14, 2014

The Bee's Knees Necklace

Hi everyone!  I'm so excited to be posting my first official Creative Team member project!  I am a big fan of statement necklaces. I own several big, chunky, modern necklaces in different colors and sizes.  I'm always on the lookout for something unique and fun.  So, when I got the Hexagon Background piece I immediately knew it would make a really cool necklace!
 It's a cool shape on it's own but with the possibility of turning it into a statement piece, I was all aflutter with ideas! 
 So I cracked own my Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Gelatos® colors in the new Steampunk Set and used a page from my Mixed Media with Gelatos® kit that I designed! I used the primed canvas page for my background.  I mixed Gelatos® on a non-stick mat and added water.  Using a brush, I just added color to the top of the page and allowed it to drip.  The spray bottle gave it more flow afterwards.  Dry and add one of the metallic Gelatos® through the Hexagon Confetti Mask stencil with a foam applicator.  More drips were added and dried.  Finally I added some music paper stamping with a Stamper's Big Brush Pen in black.
 Then I moved on to the chipboard piece.  I stamped the VersaMark pad over it on a paper plate and sprinkled WOW Embossing Powder in Sierra Sunrise onto the piece.  Heat setting it gave it a metallic and glittery look... instant BLING!
 Here is how it looks over top of the canvas paper.  Once I got it where I wanted it, I glued it down with a fabric glue.
 I used a craft knife to cut around the outside and cut out a few of the spaces for interest.  Here's the look before assembling.

 A chain was added and some bee charms in a couple of the spaces.  I LOVE this!  I'm going to be wearing it out with a strapless black maxi dress soon!
 Some more views of the necklace.  UmWowStudios chipboard is so sturdy, it becomes perfect for jewelry pieces!


What other shapes can you create a modern piece of jewelry from?   I think this is the "Bee's Knees"!

UmWowStudio Supplies:


Other Supplies:
Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Gelatos® Steampunk Set
Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft  Mixed Media with Gelatos® kit
Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Stamper's Big Brush Pen in black
Foam Applicator 
VersaMark pad
Tim Holtz Stamp set
Chain- Blue Moon Beads
Bee charms  (unknown source)
Beacon Adhesives- FabriTac

 p.s.  Don't forget about our new sketch challenge for July.  You can check out all the details here.

2 comments:

  1. OMG it's fab! Wanna see it on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wear it (and my hair/ face is done!), I'll post a pic on Facebook!

      Delete